As if B.O. isn’t bad enough, perspiration can leave behind another unwanted signature on your clothes - sweat stains. These unsightly blotches can ruin the look of your favourite shirt, permanently even, if you don’t remove them right away.
Fortunately, you can eliminate sweat stains quickly and effectively without too much effort. In this post, we explore a few techniques for how to get rid of sweat stains and prevent them from forming altogether.
How to Get Rid of Sweat Stains That Haven’t Set In
Let’s be real - some days when the heat is sweltering and the humidity is high, you’ll sweat no matter what measures you take. And that could very well lead to sweat stains. There’s no need to panic, however, you just need to act quickly before the stain penetrates the surface of your fabrics.
A Fast-Acting Method to Remove Sweat Stains
- Once you see a sweat stain, immediately bring it to a wash to begin the cleansing process.
- Wash the soiled part of your shirt under some cold water and rub the fabric together thoroughly.
- Let it dry.
- Once it’s dry, you can wash your shirt with the rest of your laundry as usual.
The key to success with this method is immediate action - no lingering! The sooner you wash an item that’s got an armpit stain or some other sweat stain, the easier it will be to remove it.
How to Get Rid of Sweat Stains Once They Set In
Unfortunately, sweat stains can go unnoticed. Perhaps, you were so rushed or stressed about a situation that you totally missed a sweat stain on your shirt. By the time you notice it and try to wash it out, it might be too late - it refuses to disappear.
Sweat stains that set in have penetrated the upper layers of your clothing’s fabrics, making them harder to remove by regular washing methods. Nevertheless, you can get rid of them with the right techniques.
What You’ll Need for Persistent Sweat Stains (White Shirts)
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 1 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 2 cups of warm water
- A bowl that’s large enough to hold your shirt in the solution
- Small bowl
- Metal spoon
Remove Armpit Stains & Other Sweat Stains From White Shirts
- Pour two cups of warm water and one cup of white vinegar into your bowl.
- Put the shirt in the water/vinegar solution so that the sweat stains are completely covered.
- Let it soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Combine the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and salt together into your small bowl.
- Next, use your spoon to mix the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and salt together until it forms a paste.
- Cover a flat work surface (ie. table) with your towel.
- Remove the shirt from your larger bowl, and then wring out any excess liquid.
- Spread the shirt out over the towel, and use the spoon to spread the peroxide/soda/salt paste over the sweat stains. Let the paste sit for 20 minutes.
- Once the paste has set in, wash the shirt with a load of whites as usual.
What You’ll Need for Persistent Sweat Stains (Coloured Shirts)
- Aspiring paste (as an alternative to vinegar)
Remove Armpit Stains & Other Sweat Stains From White Shirts (Colored Shirts)
- Soak your soiled clothing item in a mixture of cold water and white vinegar for 20-30 minutes. Crushed aspirin tablets can work as a substitute for vinegar (if you don’t have it on hand).
- Next, run cold water over the sweat stain and gently rub the soiled area with your fingers to loosen the stain.
- Wash the item with a normal load of colored clothes as usual. If you’re using crushed aspirin, let the item of clothing sit for an hour before washing.
It’s highly important for you to refrain from using ingredients used to wash whites on your colored items. For example, you should never use hydrogen peroxide on colored clothing items because it can ruin them. Providing you follow these instructions carefully, you’ll find even the most persistent sweat stains vanishing from your clothing.
How to Prevent Sweat Stains Altogether
Learning how to get rid of sweat stains no doubt comes in handy. But as the cliche goes - “prevention is better than cure”. Sweat stains often appear due to some “bad habits” that allow them to show up in the first place. With that said, you can take a few precautions to prevent sweat stains from even showing face at all.
Preventative Measures Against Sweat Stains
Don’t Let Sweat Stains Ruin Your Favourite Clothing
With these easy washing techniques, you can overcome just about any sweat stain. But for truly sweat stain-free clothes, your best bet is prevention. Moisture-wicking undershirts and t-shirts target perspiration to effectively hide sweat and dry it away before stains can set.
Shop sweat-proof men’s shirts with stylish appeal, comfortable fit, and high-end sweat protection.